Monday 29 January 2018

Are contact lenses going to give me a different view of mountain biking?

After more years than |I care to remember, cycling with cycling glasses with prescription inserts that bounced around on rocky descents and made biking down them as much a matter of luck as it was skill , I went for an eye test and suggested I could maybe try contacts even if it was only for biking. The answer was yes and I was given a trial pack after some basic instructions on how to get the little buggers in and then to remove them! The first time I tried them last week it took longer to put them in than the actual ride itself and to be honest I'm not even sure I managed to put the one in my left eye successfully, however even if it was only one eyed it was still amazing the difference, the clarity and all round vision was so much better. My third ride with them today was itself a major step forward in that I popped them both in, in  under five minutes! The ride itself was muddy and wet, a complete change from the hard frost and snow of a week ago, but at least I had a good view of the mud!

Some of the mud on today's ride

The river crossing was a bit daunting but equipped with "super vision" I made it through with only slightly wet feet to show for it!

Back home covered in mud and about to make the washing machine earn its keep!

2 comments:

RebelGirlRides said...

Great to read this, as I'm still in the stages of mountain biking with my regular everyday glasses, and I've been toying with the idea of investing in some cycling glasses with inserts! Was it really that bad?

I've got some contacts too, and had a similar experience trying to get them in, but I haven't tried them riding yet. My main worry is that I struggle with watery eyes on the big downhills, and I'm not sure if contacts would be the way to go!

jakay said...

Hi, interesting to see someone else with similar problems, inserts were okay until rough terrain at speed when theres a fair bit of bounce on the glasses making vision a bit blurred, the contacts are fine on fast downhills as I wear cycling glasses as well (obviously minus the inserts!). The opther advantage I find with the contacts is much better peripheral vision in that I don't need to move my head as far for sideways vision. The putting in time improves slowly...some days better than others!!