Thursday 5 August 2010

Repaired the little so'n'so...........somehow!


The Avid brakes on my bike are not a favorite with me. For a start the only thing really holding the pads in place is the little knobs in the middle of the pistons which fit into the indentations on the back of the pads. If the knob becomes worn, as happened with one of mine, the pad can become displaced, reducing the brake efficiency, I ordered a set of replacement pistons and seals which were not expensive but I'd heard of charges of £50 plus to fit them. To a miserly Scot this is a no no, so I decided to do the job myself and somehow or other I've managed to stumble my way through and even bleed them without the ridiculously expensive Avid bleed kit. A trained mechanic would be horrified at some of my methods, but who cares, the brakes are as good as new again!
Posted by Picasa

No comments: