Tuesday 18 September 2018

When you're pedalling furiously and going nowhere......


Before it all went wrong! We'd gone about another mile and were near the top of Maidens Cleugh when there was an almighty crack from my bike and I ended up spinning the pedals with no forward motion, a quick inspection revealed the free hub to be the reason for lack of movement and I had to head for base camp while the other three continued on.


After I got home, which didn'tactuallytake too long considering it was about seven miles but mainly downhill, I removed the cassette from the wheel, took off the free hub and discovered one of the pawls had broken, I put the cassette onto another spare wheel and cycled back to meet up with the others who were on the return leg, they'd been held up with one of Garry's wheels which was refusing to seal after he'd dented the rim trying to clear a water butt and not quite making it, so there had been numerous stops to blow it up!


Mark and I were out last Friday and took a few pictures at Harlaw reservoir showing just how low the level of water was in it.


Mark and I did a 28 miler on Monday and discovered that the Red Road up to West Kip was in a horrific mess from logging operations, some of the tracks were over 3 feet deep in places! And to think bikers get a rollicking if they as much as leave a 6 inch skid mark, hopefully the track will be reinstated, we'll be keeping an eye on it to make sure.


Finally, I went out today for a short low level ride, the wind was too high for anything up the hills and the forecast for tomorrow is horrendous, so make hay while the sun shines!
  


No comments: