Monday 20 January 2020

Maybe you can use too much degreaser on your bike....


Barries' Giant Trance ebike awaiting collection at Flotterstone on Saturday morning after the freehub stopped working at the top of Scald Law in the Pentlands. Numerous theories as to the cause, one being that too much degreaser sprayed onto the chain and cassette can infiltrate the freehub body and cause premature wear, the bike is now in his local bike shop awaiting investigation by a trained Giant bike mechanic and we await the prognosis.


It was a tremendous ride up till the freehub failure with the weather being first class for a change, this was us before the final ascent to the top of Scald Law.


To my amazement I managed to clean the ascent to the summit for the first time ever, I reckon I'm the oldest biker ever to have achieved it!


The start of the descent which was tricky in bits with ice waiting to catch us out if we didn't pay attention, at least it was mostly downhill back to Flotterstone!

I've been changing all the drive train today on my Trek, paying particular attention not to overdo the degreaser! 



No comments: